Monday, May 11, 2009

CNN vs Fox News

In watching both CNN and Fox News, their differences become instantly apparent. One of the most important differences is that when gauging "America's" reaction, CNN, although liberally leaning, provides a more balanced perspective in terms of the guests that appear on their programs and the variety of opinions they expose. Fox's guests, on the other hand, are almost all conservatives. And when a liberal is invited on one of Fox's programs, its purpose is usually so that the liberal is outnumbered and his/her opinion is, thus, marginalized and perceived as wrong. I can't honestly say that CNN doesn't do the same thing. However, when CNN does it, it's far less extreme and obvious than when Fox does it.

For straight news, I prefer CNN because I feel that it's more objective. But for "interpretation" I enjoy watching Fox more. When I watch news commentary, I don't want my opinion to be reinforced. I know what my opinion is. Having someone agree with it is boring. I'd rather watch someone with the opposite opinion. I believe that listening to one who disagrees with me and finding out why he/she does strengthens my opinion more than listening to someone whose opinion is compatible with mine. Although I definitely get irritated watching Fox News for too long, its coverage and commentary is more entertaining and illicits a more passionate reaction from me simply because I usually disagree with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment